The Baroque Refectory

In the 18thcentury Archabbot Benedek Sajghó (1722-1768) had the Carmelite brother Atanáz Márton Witwer design the baroque elements of the monastery.

The refectory, which deserves the most attention from an artistic-historic point of view, was built in the middle of the eastern wing. The construction of the two-storey high, rectangular shaped hall with cavetto vault probably dates to the second half of the 1720s. The paintings (secco) on the walls were painted between 1728 and 1730 by Davide Antonio Fossati, a Swiss artist who later settled in Venice.

The secco on the ceiling depicts the apotheosis of King Saint Stephen. The six well-known Biblical scenes on the side-walls are thematically connected to eating: the offering of vinegar to Christ on the Cross; the temptation of Jesus in the desert; Daniel in the lions' lair; the feast of King Balthasar; the decapitation of Saint John, the Baptist; and a scene from the life of Saint Benedict.

The baroque refectory belongs to the more reserved living space of the monastic community and is not open to the public.